The New York University Alumni Association
The NYU Alumni Association (NYUAA) is the umbrella organization for all University alumni. Its purpose is to build and sustain a lifelong relationship between the University and its alumni through the following activities:
- Supporting the Fund for NYU (annual giving)
- Fostering leadership among alumni from all schools, regions and constituencies
- Engaging students as future alumni
- Providing opportunities for lifelong learning for alumni
- Recognizing alumni for accomplishments and service
- Providing social and career networking for alumni
- Supporting alumni organizations, regional groups, constituency groups and students
- Encouraging participation of schools in NYU Alumni Association activities
- Facilitating the sharing of ideas between school associations
- Providing an avenue for feedback to the administration
The NYUAA's various committees allow alumni to focus their energy in areas that are helpful to the University. Through these committees, alumni actively work with the University on higher education issues related to city and state government and on community service. They work to link students and alumni through events like Freshman Orientation, the annual Student Leaders Dinner, and student-alumni mentoring events. Alumni also help to raise crucial fundraising dollars through the Fund for NYU. Recent alumni who remain in the New York area have opportunities to participate in social, cultural, career-related and community service activities through the Recent Alumni Network. For those alumni residing outside the metro area, NYU holds a series of regional events bringing NYU's president or faculty members to meet with alumni in other areas of the country.
To find out more about the NYU Alumni Association, please contact Amanda Putzer, Assistant Director, Alumni Affinity Programs, at email@example.com or call the Office of Alumni Relations at (212) 998-6912.
NYUAA Board Committees
The work of the NYUAA is carried out through NYUAA Board Committees which consist of members of the NYUAA Board of Directors and other dedicated alumni volunteers. Below is a listing of the current NYUAA Board Committees. If you would like to learn more about these committees, or are interested in serving on one of them, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Solicits and reviews nominations and makes selections for NYU Alumni Association Awards.
- Coordinates with UDAR to identify roles that members of the Committee and the NYUAA Board of Directors can play to encourage attendance at the Awards ceremonies.
Benefits and Services
- Understands, evaluates, provides input on and promotes new and existing alumni benefits.
- Reviews and drafts updates and revisions to the NYU Alumni Association By-Laws.
Communications and Marketing
- Markets and promotes the NYUAA and its programs, activities and events to NYUAA Board Members, other alumni and students, as applicable.
- Promotes communication among and between NYUAA Board Members, NYUAA committees, other alumni and students.
- Assists in University-wide and/or school-based alumni initiatives related to promoting and soliciting for and increasing participation in the Annual Fund for NYU or other fund raising initiatives suggested by the University administration.
Government Relations and Community Service
- Provides alumni support to University government relations initiatives on Federal, state and local levels consistent with the needs of the University.
- Works to identify and/or provide support for community service initiatives in which alumni can participate.
- Solicits and reviews nominations for NYU Alumni Association Officers.
- Recommends slate of officers to NYU Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Recommends Alumni Trustee to NYU Board of Trustees.
- Through a sub-committee designated by and reporting to the President, solicits, evaluates and recommends Additional Directors to the Board of Directors for approval at the annual meeting.
Regional and Global Alumni Outreach
- Coordinates with key alumni volunteer leaders regionally within the United States and globally in support of the “Global Network University.”
- Helps to establish and sustain NYU's presence in geographic areas outside of NYU’s campus locations in New York City.
- Encourages regional and global alumni clubs and chapters in geographic areas outside of NYU’s campus locations in New York City to plan and host their own events and activities.
- Assists the University in engaging both current and the next generation of alumni in building attendance of the event.
- Provides observations and recommendations to UDAR relative to the most recent Alumni Day that will assist the University, its various schools, and divisions in reshaping the program and the events that comprise it for future Alumni Days.
- Coordinates with UDAR to identify roles that members of the NYUAA Board of Directors can play and participate in at Alumni Day.
Recent Alumni and Student Programs
- Promotes awareness of alumni roles and activities among current students through special events.
- Educates current students on the roles they will play as alumni, including raising the awareness of the importance of participation in the Annual Fund.
- Initiates activities for alumni from the last ten years’ classes, including social networking events, cultural activities and community service projects.
- Acquaints alumni from the last ten years’ classes with alumni activities and opportunities for involvement, including participation in the Annual Fund.